Sunday, December 10, 2017

Mission Week 52: November 27, 2017-1 year!!!

November 27, 2017

ONE YEAR!!!

THE BIGGEST NEWS THAT I HAVE THIS WEEK IS THAT WE BAPTIZED AGAIN! WE BAPTIZED P.'S DAD AND COMPLETED THEIR FAMILY!!!!! WE ARE SO HAPPY!!!

So, Saturday was the craziest day! hahaha 

We had stake conference- our stake was divided! Yahoo! I will explain more about this later... so because of the conference, all of the men in our ward were in Foz do Iguaçu (2 hours away) for the priesthood session, and we had to baptize D. (P.'s dad) in my district leaders chapel (our stake center). It was super chaotic because of the conference and without priesthood leaders... I have a strong mindset about the importância of members being at the baptism and our bishop and other auxiliaries because the new member needs to be welcomed right in to the ward from the start. so.... knowing that the men would all be in Foz and that we would probably have a small ward turn out at his baptism, everyone was telling me that we should wait to baptize him until Sunday (just one day later)... I thought and prayed about it with my companion, but we felt very strongly that he needed to be baptized as planned on Saturday. 

Our ward mission leader was sick and couldn't come and help us and it was pouring rain all day long, so it was just extremely chaotic.... we prayed that everything would go as planned and that we would be able to baptize D. without delay. I was stressed....haha but it's that kind of stress that is associated with unshaken faith....hahhaha... I called my district leader (Elder King- who is from Las Vegas and finishes his mission next week) and explained the situation. He came to my rescue and reassured me that it would all be just fine. He offered to baptize this man for me- I normally don't let the elders baptize my converts, but with all of the chaos of the day, and thinking about how much this elder has helped us (he's a great friend of mine) and how he hasn't had many baptisms this transfer, I felt like it would be wonderful to give him the opportunity. 
 
We got to the church- Irmã K. made yummy chocolate cake for the baptism because this week I did not have time--- and when we got to the church (the elder's chapel) with P. and her family- the elders realized that we didn't have the keys to enter into the baptismal font from the back- we could open it from the front (where we watch the baptism and has that glass) but behind where they enter in and go down the stairs into the font was locked!!!! I kept my cool but was panicking inside....my companion and the elders were running around with their heads cut off trying to call other members who might've had keys.... without any luck-- all the men were in Foz with their church keys- the four of us (my companion and i, and the two elders) knelt down in the gym and prayed that we could find a way to open the doors and baptize D. that day..

Shortly after the prayer- I received REVELATION! HAHA SERIOUSLY! I told the elder to go and change his clothes and to help D. put on his jumpsuit as well. the members started to show up and I had my iPod playing church music to welcome everyone...

Bishop has met him and the Bishop and other leaders were so thrilled that we were bold and baptized him- we followed the spirit and luckily have their trust as well----

And members were there! it was a beautiful baptism- we even had a musical number! ;)
after the elder and D. changed their clothes, I explained to them my crazy plan. We would put one chair into the water in the font, and one chair on the outside of the font (the front side) and then they would stand up on the first chair, swing their leg over the glass, and step down on the chair in the water- then take the chairs out and baptize him- and exit the font in the same way. The elder looked at me and smiled, laughing and said, "man..talk about a sister who doesn't give up-" hahahahaha

Everyone thought I was nuts-- but I told the members that this man needed to be baptized on this day and that he was ready- when we explained to D. (hes in his mid-50s if I may....) how he would enter into the font, he looked at me and said, "Sister- today is the day- however I get into that font is not the problem, but I will be baptized today!" It was soooo cute- this quiet man was so excited to be baptized in front of his wife and his two daughters- his family who had been trying to invite him for years! 

Needless to say- D. was baptized on Saturday- entering the baptismal font from the front side- climbing over the glass... the best part of it all was seeing his huge smile as he left the water.... my heart.... I sat in the front row with my companion and his family, holding his wife's hand as she cried watching him be baptized. As soon as he came out of the water his wife squeezed my hand and with tears rolling down her face said, "Sisteres, you don't understand how happy I feel today- I've been dreaming about this day since the day I was baptized 4 years ago- we have been inviting him for years and finally you girls came in and the Spirit you brought touched his heart. finally, my family can be sealed in the temple!" 

I LOST IT. TEARS OF GRATITUDE- TEARS OF HUMILITY-- I KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT ME- I am nothing. I am just a product of great parents, family, and have been blessed by the Lord to be a missionary at this time. He is guiding the work here- I am just moving my feet and hearing His voice. 

Yet another family to be sealed in the temple....and P. was able to see her dad's baptism before heading back to serve her own mission in Peru.....so special. 
 


What a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving! I missed all of you so much and felt so much gratitude to know that you are all taken care of- that Heavenly Father is aware of each of us and gave His Son for each of us so that we could have beautiful experiences to learn and grow like I had this week.

Que coisa mais linda! Eu amo ser uma missionária!
 
We had our stake conference yesterday and J. (our first baptism here) received the Melchizedek Priesthood and was ordained an elder already!!! Less than one month after his baptism!!!!!! Presidente Pereira was there and was so happy to greet J. and to congratulate him! He told J. that when J. opens his mission call, he will be there!! Sooooo cool!

Our stake was divided by Elder Mark Bassett of the 70 and Elder Toledo of the 70! Now we have our stake- Estaca Cascavel and Estaca Foz do Iguaçu! so exciting to see so much growth here!

So great!

Tomorrow, we will all travel for 7-9 hours on a bus with a bunch of missionaries to get to Londrina- we will have a mission tour conference with Elder Aidukaitis of the 70- he will do a training with the missionaries in our mission! We are excited!!! 

And Sister Pereira and Presidente came to do our interviews here in Cascavel on friday afternoon and told us that Christmas (December 19th) ALL OF THE MISSIONARIES IN OUR MISSION WILL HAVE A CHRISTMAS CONFERENCE-- EVERYONE TOGETHER- THIS NEVER EVER HAPPENS!!!!!!!!! I WILL SEE ALL OF MY FRIENDS!!! YAY!
 
GIANT GUINEA PIGS.....NATURAL WILDLIFE HAHAHAHA
THESE ANIMALS LIVE IN AND OUT OF THE WATER AT THIS LAKE-- (TO SHOW TO THE LITTLE KIDS)HEHEHE
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment